Friday, January 8, 2010

New York City



Having blogged about New Jersey and Colorado, I suppose New York City deserves its own blog entry as well.  It’s the US city I’m most familiar with after DC/Baltimore.  My father’s side of the family comes from Brooklyn, though by now they’re all over the place.

 City.  It’s about 4 hours north of the Washington DC area, consisting of Manhattan, Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn.  Staten Island, Long Island, and upper New Jersey are part of the larger NYC metropolitan area.  The city itself has 8 million people, whereas the greater NYC metropolitan area includes 20 million.

            Brief history.  Originally settled by the Dutch, including Peter Minuit’s famous (though false) purchase of Manhattan Island from the Indians for $24.  At that time (1626) it was called New Amsterdam.  It was captured by the British in 1664 and renamed New York.  It was the first capital of the US, before Philadelphia and later Washington, DC
            When most people think of NYC, they think of Manhattan, of course.  Notable landmarks:
            Empire State Building.  Built in 1929-30 by Al Smith, featured in “King Kong”, and still surviving today.  I love its Art Deco interior, and the view from the top, both the 86th floor outside observatory and the 102nd floor indoor one, is spectacular.
            World Trade Center.  Built in the early 70s, and knocked down on 9/11/01.  We had the good fortune to check out the view from the deck in 1988, but unlike the ESB, which is centrally located at 34th Street and 5th Ave., the WTC was down at the southern end of the island, making much of the view not much more than lots of ocean.  Moreover, the observation deck was 20 feet away from the edge of the tower, unlike the ESB where it seemed you were right on the edge.  I preferred the ESB experience.
            Central Park.  Fairly huge, with large, green open spaces.  I never jogged in it or caught any concerts, but I have seen enough of it on various visits to appreciate it.
            Times Square.  As noted in the last blog, I’ve never been there for NYE, but I have been there before – lots of neon, much more impressive at night than the daytime.  I only recall going there on the 1988 trip.
            Grand Central Station.  An impressively large and luxuriously appointed terminal, similar to the Moscow Metro. 
            Penn Station/Madison Square Garden.  We saw AC/DC – fifth row seats! – in August 1988 at MSG, my one and only MSG experience.  The Garden is literally right on top of Penn Station, which serves as the railroad terminal for trains coming from, and going to, Washington’s Union Station; but we never simply came up by train for a concert.
            Greenwich Village.  In the 90s I’d visit here with Ken, scoping out the CD stores for bootlegs; on another night his Coven of Hate crowd went to the Bank (a club).  In June 2001 we caught Nebula at the Mercury Lounge, the last visit I made to NYC before 9/11.  St Mark’s, where the cover of Led Zeppelin’s Physical Graffiti album is located, is here.  GW has a very grimy, dirty, rundown look to it, but it’s where the hippies and stoners tend to live.
            Subway.  One of the oldest systems in the world, it opened in 1904, and the world’s largest.  The NYC subway is vast, with several different lines crisscrossing the island and extending into Brooklyn, Queens, etc.  There are high speed express trains, and locals.  I’m not aware of any other system which is operational 24/7.  The PATH train connects Manhattan with New Jersey.  I recall in the 70s, the system used tokens, the cars were dirty and covered in graffiti, and the lights went out fairly often.  My father explained the way the different lines were integrated, but to me the network was baffling.  I prefer the Paris Metro.
            Wall Street.  I went down there in 1988, only to find that the building on Wall Street so often identified as “Wall Street” with the statue of George Washington in front of it, is not the NY Stock Exchange.  The World Trade Center was down in this lower part of Manhattan.
            Coney Island.   Guess what, NYC actually has a beach, with an amusement park and a roller coaster.  My most recent visit was to see Widespread Panic.   I also love the Cyclone.  Maybe one day I'll make it back there.  Not holding my breath, though.
            Mayors.  The mayor of such a large town inevitably becomes a national figure – far more so than mayors of any other city in the US.  Now they have Bloomberg; the mayor of 9/11, Rudy Guliani; LaGuardia; but my favorite is Ed Koch. 
            Other cities have tall buildings, of course (e.g. Paris, Dubai, ChicagoHong Kong having the most) but none have as many all together, so densely packed.  European cities tend of have architecture of an extremely homogenous nature, especially Paris, where the buildings are the same height and style for blocks on end with few notable exceptions to prove the rule.  DC has a law preventing buildings from exceeding the height of the Washington Monument; and other cities (Baltimore, Phoenix, Richmond, Norfolk) have very small skyscraper districts only a few blocks in depth.  In Manhattan, you look down a street, in any direction, and you see a vast valley, a chasm, between towering walls.  It’s unique.

Long Island.  Often referred to simply as “The Island” (e.g. Ewan McGregor & Scarlet Johannsen).  My father’s family started out in Brooklyn, then moved to various places from there.  Twin sister aunt: Merrick (we visited them several times in the 70s, though now they live in Raleigh-Durham but keep the NY accents).  Younger brother uncle: Babylon, though he would always come to Merrick.  My buddy Dave, who I went to college with, is out on the Island, in Deer Park.  I’ve never been to the Gold Coast, though I’ve read enough about it: The Great Gatsby and two Nelson Demille books.

Coney Island.  In 1988 we visited the beach here during the summer, resulting in two rides on the Cyclone and one very nasty sunburn (just like 1984).  Coney Island dates from the turn of the century, whereas Copacabana and Ipanema, in Rio de Janeiro, were only desolate, uninhabited beaches at that time and only took their current form in the 1940s and 50s.

Bronx.  I've been over to Fordham (main campus) and the Bronx Zoo, but that's about it.

Queens.  The Mandarin Chinatown is in Flushing, which I've been to a few times now, plus the courthouse on Sutphin (?). 

Staten Island.  So far, for me, this has been the island between the Outerbridge Crossing and the Verrazano Bridge.

Early Trips.  When we were kids growing up in the DC area in the 70s, our parents would take us on several trips: NYC, Long Island, Glens Falls (to visit my father’s family); Worcester, Massachusetts (to visit my mom’s family); and Ocean City, Maryland, and King’s Dominion, for our own family vacations.  I remember NYC in the 70s, the highlights of said visits being the Empire State Building and FAO Schwartz, the famous toy store.  We would drive up the Turnpike and stay in fancy hotels in Manhattan.  It’s funny, I never recall any trip in which we went BOTH to Manhattan or Merrick, Long Island, it always seemed to be one or the other, but not both.
1988.  In the summer of 1988 we swapped apartments with a family who had a large place on 96th and 5th Avenue, overlooking the upper end of Central Park.  Although I was only there for about 10 days, I was able to do the following:  Empire State Building, World Trade Center, Public Library, subway, Sam Ash, Times Square, Macy’s, AC/DC concert at Madison Square Garden, and Coney Island.
Pizza.  Since pizza is, bar none, my favorite food, I can’t mention NYC without mentioning “New York style” pizza – though I’ve noticed that it’s commonly available in northern New Jersey as well.  This is pizza with wide slices and thin, soft (NOT crispy!) crust.  I have yet to find any place outside that area which successfully duplicates that type of pizza, although there are several which claim to (with pictures of Manhattan and Frank Sinatra on the walls, of course).  Chicago style?  Please – that 2 inch thick monstrosity is better labeled “cheese pie” than pizza.  NY delis are supposedly unique, but for me the pizza is really the only game in town.
Culture.  An argument can be made that NYC is the country’s #1 city – even competing with Chicago and L.A.  I can’t begin to list all the films which take place there, or the TV shows, of which “Seinfeld” and “Sex and the City” are probably the most notable in recent years.  But I don’t care for, or share in, the worship of the city.  I really can’t stand Sinatra’s “New York, New York” song, nor am I into the Broadway scene; I still haven’t seen “Spamalot”, the only musical I would have any interest in.  I don’t even like the New York City songs by AC/DC and The Cult, and I like those bands.  Oddly, KISS, who ARE from NYC, devote their “city song” to Detroit (“Detroit Rock City”).  New Yorkers have their own style and accent – and attitude.  For some reason Brooklyn has its own pride, distinct from the city itself.  John Lennon could have lived anywhere on Earth, yet he and Yoko Ono decided to make NYC their home.  I can appreciate what the city has to offer, but it falls well short of love.



No comments:

Post a Comment