Monday, July 18, 2011

Another One Rides The Bus

Awhile back I commented on school bus memories.  After a recent trip up to NJ by “Chinatown” bus, I can comment on inter-city bus travel as well.

 Back when we lived in the US, before moving to Paris in January 1979, we must have taken a few bus trips to New York.  I recall we went to my cousin Colleen’s wedding in Glens Falls.  We had to switch buses in NYC at the main bus terminal.  I do recall at least one other trip to NYC by bus.  We’d take a Greyhound bus from the terminal in DC, which was next to Union Station.

 In 1995 I went up to Flint, Michigan with my best friend Phil, to purchase a 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400.  The owner claimed he’d meet us at the bus terminal in Detroit, then abruptly changed his mind.  We had to get a cab to the airport, rent a car there, and drive up to Flint to see the car – which we couldn’t buy.  The return trip was in the rental car.  Driving back by rental car, we could take a much more direct route than the bus took: no delays going through Pittsburgh or Cleveland on the way back.  The bus trip up was overnight, with a 3 a.m. stopover in Cleveland.  This is, so far as I can remember, the only overnight bus ride I’ve taken, and I had no more luck sleeping than I ever do on overnight flights. 

 More recently, my friend’s younger daughter would travel to and from DC to NYC by BoltBus, for which the drop-off was somewhere in DC (NY Ave).  With my car acting up – a repair should fix the problem soon – making long distance travel iffy, I tried the Chinatown bus, which was just $40 round trip.  I left from Rosslyn and got off in Hoboken, then picked it up in downtown Manhattan for the trip back.  It took a bit longer than it would have had I driven, but I saved $100 in gas and $38 in tolls, a net savings of $100.  I could read, listen to my iPod, and recharge my cell phone with the plug socket. 

 On one hand, it’s a great relief not to have to drive.  There is little risk the bus will break down on you.  You can sit back and relax, and read; and on this trip, the bus made very short trips (15 minute stops) at rest stops along the way.   Since the bus is higher up off the road, you get a better view as you go along, and can pay attention to things which otherwise you’d miss focused on the road ahead of you.
   
 On the other hand, you’re limited to the exact bus schedule:  your ticket is only good for THAT time (no cancellations).  You have to pick up and get off at specific spots which are not all that convenient; it also restricts your flexibility at changing plans.   I’m not convinced the benefits outweigh the costs, even allowing for the lower total price.

 Bus vs. Plane.  For cross-country trips (down to Florida or over to L.A.) you really can’t beat the plane.  But for short hops, e.g. DC to NY, the quick flight is less competitive due to time spent getting to the airport and going through security.  There is NO security on buses: you just hop on.  Your friends, relatives and loved ones can see you off at the bus itself and be there at the stop when you arrive.  

 Bus vs. Train.  Security-wise both are the same: none.  The train is immune to traffic issues which snarl buses as well as your car.  The rail lines typically snake their way through a seedier part of town than the highways, giving a much different view.  I haven’t been on any high speed trains, so most train rides take about as much time as an equivalent bus trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment