Friday, May 3, 2013

If I Were NFL Commissioner



…for one day, that is.  I don’t even play fantasy football, i.e. presume to even pick a full team.  So my modest commands would be as follows:

1.         Realignment.  Not happening on my watch.  Keep both conferences and all 8 divisions just as they are.  Don’t confuse everyone by switching teams around.  But see #5 below.

2.         Cleveland Browns.  Enough with the plain orange helmets (with the stripe).  You’ve been an NFL team since the late 40s.  Plain helmets are for college teams like Notre Dame or Penn State.  I don’t see fans dressing as Paul Brown, so if you want, put something clever like a “dawg paw print” or a “dawg face” on the helmet, maybe in brown – or orange on brown.  Something like that.  No, not Calvin peeing on Steelers logo.  Which brings me to my next command:

3.         Pittsburgh, Y U NO HAVE DECAL ON BOTH SIDES?  It was cute at first, maybe a little different.  Time to stop with this.  Put the decal on BOTH sides of the helmet.  Get with the program.

4.         Icing the Kicker.  So help me, if you call a timeout when the opposing team’s kicker is due to attempt a field goal, fine.  If he makes it, it’s worth 6 points instead of 3.  Maybe that will teach you.

5.         Relegation.  How about this?  The teams with the worst two records get kicked to NCAA Division 1, and the top 2 college teams get promoted to NFL, taking the losers’ places in the divisions.  A slice of professional soccer stuffed into football.   This should really mix things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment