Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Fantastic Magic

I recently saw “Fantastic Breasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”, the sequel to the earlier Harry Potter prequel movie, “Fantastic Breasts and Where to Find Them”.

I actually read the original seven Harry Potter books and did a blog about them in 2007, around the time of Order of the Phoenix (#5) and before Half Blood Prince (#6) and the pair of “Deathly Hallows” films, which cover book #7 but serve as movies 7 and 8.   I haven’t read anything after Deathly Hallows.

I was pleasantly surprised by “FB” and also liked “Grindelwald”.  Both are prequels and neither feature Harry Potter himself.  Younger Dumbledore makes his appearance in “Grindelwald”, played by one of my favorite actors, Jude Law.  Johnny Deep plays Grindelwald himself.  Warning, Dumbledore describes his relationship with Grindelwald as “closer than brothers”, meaning, “they’re gay, but don’t worry, we won’t see them kissing.”  [“Not that there’s anything wrong with it.”]

Both focus on Newt Scamander, played by Eddie Redmayne, and here’s why I like it: almost all of the characters are adults AND the movie takes place in New York City.  FINALLY we have some acknowledgement that the United States exist.  As for adults, I suppose had I been a kid when the Potter books came out I’d have liked them more.  But no, I’m an adult, and to me these are kid’s stories and movies.  So pushing the focus on adult characters really pushes it more into my preference range.

The third thing is PARIS.   “Grindelwald” starts off in NYC again – 1927, so even the Chrysler Building isn’t around yet – but gives us some London (ZZZ) but lots of Paris.   And this is a Paris rich in Art Nouveau.  I’ve gone off about Paris umpteen times, mainly because I used to live there.   The Paris angle I DON’T LIKE is this 1920s “American in Paris” crap with Hemingway, Stein, and all the pretentious expatriate writers hanging out there after World War I.   And “Midnight in Paris” with Owen Wilson was all about that – except when his female friend Adriana (Marion Cotillard) dragged him to 1890s Paris.  Anyhow.  Fortunately the movie makers give us more Art Nouveau than Art Deco and spared us Hemingway and his friends.   Thank you!

Part of the fun is giving us young Dumbledore (Law) and many of the writers of the Hogwarts textbooks as actual characters in their youth.  While I can’t say I have the patience to re-read the original 7 books to catch up, many of the names sound vaguely familiar. 

Note: there will be a third film released in 2020, for a total of five films.  I have to wonder where the next three will take place, because we’ve hit NYC (Fantastic Breasts) and Paris (Grindelwald).   May I suggest Rio de Janeiro?  And what about magic in communist countries?  Dare we see what Moscow looked like in 1928, with Stalin and Trotsky still battling it out for control of the Soviet Union?  What does the MagiCheka look like? 

Better yet, if the series continues into the 1930s, in particular past January 30, 1933, perhaps Berlin could be a setting.  Because we all know that the Nazis’ fascination with the occult is a topic which is long overdue for a movie, right?

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment