Friday, September 4, 2020

All Them Witches


 It’s getting harder to figure out what to write about on my Friday blogs.  I’ll think of something, check my archives, and realize I’ve covered the topic already.  Today’s entry is #755, so I’ve had 754 previous ideas.  Fortunately new band bands come out periodically, allowing me to address them, including this relatively new band from Nashville, Tennessee, All Them Witches.  Their first album, Our Mother Electricity, came out in 2012.

Like many of these newer bands – I’d compare them closest to King Buffalo (from Rochester, NY) and Elder (from Boston, MA) – they vary the songs from mellow to heavy and back again, avoiding getting too monotonous, and the singer/bassist, Charles Michael Parks, actually sings, which is a good point.  His Rickenbacker has the top horn cut off, so we’ll see if this band gets big enough that Rickenbacker makes a CMP signature model.  I know they have an Al Cisneros (Sleep & OM) model.  The guitarist is Ben McLeod and the drummer is Robby Staebler. 

I was fortunate enough to catch them at the Rock’n’Roll Hotel in Washington, DC, on March 23, 2019.  Setlist:  Funeral for a Great Drunken Bird; 3-5-7; Diamond; 1st vs. 2nd; Fishbelly 86 Onions; Workhorse; Charles William; When God Comes Back; Rob’s Dream; Alabaster; Swallowed by the Sea; encore:  Blood & Sand/Milk and Endless Waters.

Their newest album, Nothing As The Ideal, was recently released.  I preordered it and received the CD (I reserve vinyl for material released before 1988, as only such material, originally recorded for analog reproduction, will make the transition to premium vinyl).  Excellent, similar to the prior releases, though I fall short of being able to distinguish it, for better or worse, from such albums.  For those of you with Spotify, those releases are available on that medium. 

With the COVID still preventing live shows occurring, and the Clutches and Downs being the exception and not the rule, I won’t hold my breath for ATW to tour this album in the US or have a live online show.  I will play NATI over and over again, and as yet I haven’t gotten fed up.   :D

No comments:

Post a Comment