Friday, July 29, 2016

Dunsmuir

My weekly Friday writer’s block was resolved when I listened to this album, a self-titled deal by yet another side project by Clutch vocalist Neil Fallon, featuring Vinnie Appice (Black Sabbath) on drums, Dave Bone on guitar, and Brad Davis (Fu Manchu) on bass.   Bone was previously with Fallon and Davis in The Company Band.  No word if this band will tour, as Fallon seems locked solid touring and recording with Clutch – I’m surprised he had time to do this album.

I suppose after listening to rock music and going to concerts since 1984, I’m going to be a bit jaded.  I lose patience more easily with bands that regurgitate old material or copy others yet pretend to be original.  It’s egregious for PROG bands, who seem to think that if they’re slavishly copying Yes, Rush, or Pink Floyd that they should be considered PROG as well; fewer bands try to copy King Crimson or Frank Zappa.  Anyhow.

Enough already, does it suck?  Does it rock?  I’ll tell you. 

Obviously any Fallon-fronted band will sound something like Clutch, but this is heavier and nastier.  I liked it.  It has a raw groove, a thick and heavy guitar tone, overall exactly what I expect from Fallon and whoever is backing him up.  We’ll see if he actually tours this.  Since Bone & Davis were also in The Company Band, any tour could include that material as well.  I’m puzzled that Dave Bone doesn’t have a full-time job in a band. 

Format.  Here’s the weird thing.  Earlier I got two 7” vinyl singles, then the final package, which included a standard 12” vinyl record, plus a small card – oh, by the way – with a code which allowed me to download the MP3s, add them to iTunes and sync with the iPod, and make a CD-R I could play in the car.  With my stereo receiver acting up these days, I’m not listening to vinyl, but the CD-R sounds fine in the car.  Use Waze, even if you know the way, because this is the type of awesome tunage that makes your right foot slam down hard, and with 370 HP on tap from a Hemi V8, I’m in danger of receiving more invitations from the Fairfax County Police to appear at court. 

At home?  Alcohol & high volume might be a better mix.  :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment