Friday, August 4, 2017

Tattoos

I’m suffering writer’s block this particular weekend, so I’ll keep it short and brief on a fairly minor topic: tattoos.

These days it seems that almost everyone has a tattoo.  Moreover, the abundance of “sleeve” or all over deals is even more prevalent than it used to be.  It’s reached the point where “distinguishing feature” would be “NO tattoos” at all, though I confess I do know lots of people with none, however it’s 50/50 instead of 90%. 

Notables.   Bon Scott (AC/DC) had several on his arms, including a parakeet.  Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) has Eddie.  Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath) has that strange oriental dragon coming down his chest, plus the OZZY he did on his fingers when he was in jail.   Scott “Wino” Weinrich (St. Vitus, The Obsessed) has a fairly eclectic array that is probably the most interesting, but as of this moment I can’t recall the individual tattoos.

My own.   I’m weird: I have ONE tattoo.  My dad died suddenly in December 2004, which led me to “bucket list” this abruptly.   Since I was big into Firebirds at the time (still am, just lack the $$ to buy all the ones I want or renovate the two I have) I got the ’73-77 Screaming Chicken on my upper right arm, in dark blue and light blue.  Actually, I also like the '67-69 Indian type design, but the Trans Am version is cooler.

That was it.  One and done.  It’s only visible if I’m topless or wearing a tank top; a short sleeve shirt obscures it completely. 

They talk about “don’t get a tattoo” if you’re in certain lines of business.  I’m a lawyer:  I don’t go to court topless or wearing tank tops.  Wearing a suit and tie in court, the only exposed parts of my body are my hands, neck, and face, none of which areas are prime locations for tattoos.   And a Firebird is hardly an offensive symbol, except maybe to Judge Mustang. 

Does it hurt?  Nominally it’s a needle stitching your skin with ink, but although it’s not a pleasant sensation, I can’t call it painful either.  The sheer numbers of people with tattoos all over their bodies should be a clue that the procedure doesn’t hurt as much as you think it would – otherwise no one would have tattoos. 

Removal.  The prevalence of tattoos has spawned a related industry: tattoo removal.   Not an issue in my case.

Cool?  Back when only sailors and criminals had them, I suppose it might have been.  Now they’re so ubiquitous it’s hard to notice unless the design is particularly special.  Swastikas, of course, stand out immediately (see “American History X”, and Charles Manson).    Please, use your best judgment - to the extent you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment