Friday, November 9, 2018

NRA Wish List

I’m suffering writer’s block this Friday.  This is blog #660, and of course I prefer to avoid repeating myself – not that I’m aware of anyone actively searching the blog archives or calling me out on repetitions.  I haven’t seen any memorable films or finished any books, and I suppose there’s a limit to how many times I can bestow praise and esteem on yet more bands distorting Orange amps (what happened to Marshall?  Well, at least Monster Magnet still uses those) while invoking bongs, blunts, 4:20 etc.  Nor am I inclined to talk about drugs, legal or otherwise, constantly, or bitch yet again about the guy in the White House.

I’ve already commented at length fairly recently about my arsenal, such as it is, so I’ll wax poetic about the weapons I want.

Class III.  Technically full-auto weapons are legal if you the patience to go through the BATF procedures.  The issue really isn’t paperwork, it’s money:  these guns had to have been in the US before 1986, so regardless of how many million were made during WWII, if it wasn’t brought into the US before 1986, it can’t be brought in now.  The biggest problem is that they are EXPENSIVE.   Of course they go through ammo quickly as full auto weapons, but they’re expensive to buy.   Unless someone knows of a PPSH for less than $1000?  I didn’t think so.

Having said that, my Class III Wishlist would be:

1.         MG34 or MG42.  German WWII machine guns.   [8mm Mauser.]

2.         MP EMP aka Erma.  A German submachine gun used in the Spanish Civil War and by SS units during WWII.  Wood stock with a foregrip and slits in the cooling sleeve.  [9mm]

3.         PPSH SMG.  Famous Russian WWII submachine gun, used a 71 round drum magazine.  Also used by North Koreans and Chinese during the Korean War.  This has a fairly high rate of fire, 900 rpm. [7.62x25mm].

Normal Weapons Ordinary People Can Afford.

Luger.  We have the replica, but actual Lugers are not that expensive – well, aside from those chambered in .45.  I just never got around to buying one.  [9mm]

Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mark III.   The WWI variant.   Classic bolt action, [.303 caliber, as invoked in “Breaker Morant”].  As seen in countless movies if the British or Canadians are involved.

Springfield Armory Saint.   I sold my AR15 awhile ago, replaced it more recently with an AK47, but I dare say anyone’s arsenal should include an AR15.  This is the most recent version with all the refinements, but remarkably it costs less than $1000.   And it looks nice, though I miss the M16-looking ones; the one I used to own looked exactly like an M16.  Nowadays too many have some bizarre handguard that looks like there should be a gaming computer somewhere inside.  [.223/5.56mm]

FN FAL.  Eons ago we bought toy versions of this in Belgium, of all places.  It’s semi-auto. The Brazilian Army uses them, and with Bolso taking power I’m sure the Exercito Brasileiro will get more publicity in the near future.   I’d go with the 21” variant.  DSArms sells one for a sane price.   [.308 (7.62x51) (actually the two aren’t EXACTLY the same but whatever)]. 

Gewehr 98.  The original Mauser rifle for the German Army, first used by Germans in the Boxer Rebellion in 1900 in China, then throughout WWI, until replaced in the 1930s by the 98K.  Best seen in “All Quiet on the Western Front”. [8mm Mauser.]

Gewehr 43.   Since I already have a WWII Mauser 98K, this would be next step.  Germany’s copy of the Garand, i.e. its attempt at a semi-auto infantry rifle to replace the bolt-action K98 and thus come even with US forces, didn’t do too well, and the STG44 was more popular with Fascists even if made in similar numbers (400,000).  I saw one at a gun show for $2800.  Maybe I’ll find one for cheaper when I actually have the money.  Not counting on it.  [8mm Mauser.]  

No comments:

Post a Comment