Friday, February 1, 2019

Rick & Morty


As promised, here’s my R&M blog.

With food, I like things simple.   No Big Mac or Whopper, with their cacophony of discordant tastes, including mayonnaise:  just the burger, the bun, and ketchup.  Pizza?  Plain.  Subs?  Just steak or chicken, provolone, and the bun.  When I went to Egypt, I just ate pita bread.   When it comes to food, I have zero tolerance for weird shit.  Well, my preference for ghost peppers and habaneros might be a little weird – make that LOW tolerance for weird shit, in the food department.

When it comes to many other things, like music and TV, I’m the opposite:  count me as High Tolerance for Weird Shit.  Woohoo!

Case in point: Rick & Morty, a three season animated TV series.  It began loosely based on Doc & Marty from “Back to the Future” and rapidly generated into something far stranger.   Rick Sanchez, the Mad Scientist, is Morty’s grandfather, the father of Morty’s mother Beth and often a nemesis to Morty’s father, his son-in-law, Jerry, while Morty has an older sister Summer who is fairly normal.  I only watched it recently, initially turned off by the crude animation – which had originally turned me off South Park as well.  Like South Park, once you get past that you can actually enjoy it. 

Rick is usually involved in some bizarre scheme for which he drafts Morty.   Time travel, other worlds, dimensions, you name it.  Nothing is too weird or bizarre.  In fact, you can count on it.  An entire dimension full of nothing but Ricks and Mortys?  Gotcha.  Meet up with Ice-T himself (the rapper)?  Yes. 

South Park criticized The Family Guy as having its joke pattern be diversions into irrelevant tangents – and even went so far as to elaborately speculate on exactly how those tangents are developed (hint: manatees).   R&M has its own pattern, which is Rick being able to have a normal conversation or discuss mundane issues, or to hold that conversation, with whoever, while all sorts of bizarre stuff is going on.  Not quite the same, but I’d say equally entertaining.  Another amusing feature is that Beth, Jerry and Summer frequently wind up participating – usually less than enthusiastically – in Rick’s adventures to other dimensions.   

It was originally on Adult Swim, from 2013 to 2017, consisting of three seasons of 10 episodes each, with more coming up in the distant future – 70, which implies 7 more seasons.   If you share my High Tolerance for Weird Shit, you may well be advised to see what I see and enjoy it yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment