Thursday, October 15, 2015

Chipotle, Mr Hero, Quiznos, Firehouse & Jersey Mike's

Sometime in the late 90s or early 00’s, I was living in Rosslyn, Virginia.  Near the corner of Lynn Street and Wilson Blvd., across from where Tom Sarris’ New Orleans Steakhouse used to be, a new fast food joint opened up, one of the first – if not the first – in the Washington metropolitan area: CHIPOTLE.  It promised upscale Mexican cuisine.

I’m militantly bourgeois and antagonistic towards anything “upscale”, “trendy”, or “pretentious”.  I don’t drink wine, IPAs, microbrews, PBR, and stay away from overpriced restaurants that serve food on square white plates.  So naturally I was hostile to the premise of Chipotle, and so continued eating at the Taco Bell up the hill (Wilson, near the Arlington Courthouse).

One day, out of boredom and morbid curiosity, I tried out Chipotle.  As you may well know, they make the food in front of you.  The ingredients, particularly the steak, look appetizing and fresh.  I ordered steak soft tacos – hot sauce, cheese, and lettuce – and my mouth woke up.  Even since then I’ve been addicted to Chipotle.  It’s too delicious to ignore.  I don't care how pretentious it is.

Mr. Hero.   I also love steak & cheese subs.   Over by Bailey’s Crossroads, next to the dry cleaners I currently use, was this s&c place.  In addition to fantastically delicious steak & cheese subs, they also made waffle fries, which it’s hard to find anywhere else. 

To my intense regret and sorrow, Mr. Hero went under a few years ago.  RIP Mr. Hero.  Not relocated, out of business.  Gone.  Dead.  Etc.  By the way – the Bailey’s Crossroads, VA store was NOT the only location.  The company started in Cleveland, OH, and several locations still exist there.  But there are no locations within 150 miles of Virginia.  Too bad.

In its place came… Quiznos.

Quiznos.   The first one I saw was in Rosslyn, on the same block as Chipotle.   Like Chipotle, it was an upscaling, this time of subs.  Since I tried Chipotle, and liked subs, I tried Quiznos.  BLECCH.   Not good. Throw it back.  No no no.   So put Quinzos down as a NO.

Incidentally, I’m not a big fan of Subway.  They add some onions into the steak & cheese, and while their meatball subs are OK, I’m overall not impressed.  Sorry, Jared – though he has more to worry about these days than my sub sandwich preferences.

Firehouse & Jersey Mikes.   By the way, Jerry’s Subs & Pizza were very good – but they’ve been slowly disappearing in my area.  I don’t know why, I can’t explain, but it's sad but true.  Two newer chains are expanding.  Firehouse I first encountered in Manassas, on Sudley Manor.   They have a FIREMAN motif and exploit it mercilessly.  They even put up all sorts of tributes to the local fire department.   Although I don’t share their fetish for firemen, I do like their subs.   And they have those great soda machines with a zillion different flavors.

Jersey Mike’s is my current favorite.   Oddly, despite visiting New Jersey every other weekend for the past 6 years, I’ve never been to one in NJ:  the closest one to us in Northern NJ is in Wayne, which is 40 minutes west on I-80.   A bit far for a sub, sorry.   I go to the one in Springfield, Virginia.  Again, fantastic, just a little better than Firehouse.

Chipotle again.   Anyhow, it was with zero regret that I noticed the Quiznos that took over from Mr. Hero also went out of business.   Too f’in bad.   I picked up dry cleaning the other day and saw a notice that the next contestant for “who wants to operate a successful fast food place at this location” is …. CHIPOTLE.   The nearest others are at Seven Corners, Broad Street, and Tyson’s Corner.   In the opposite direction there’s one in Old Town Alexandria.   So by all means, continue expanding, Chipotle, and I’ll keep eating your delicious steak soft tacos.   :D

No comments:

Post a Comment