Friday, September 22, 2017

Donington Monsters of Rock

By now I’ve been to too many concerts, not all them thoroughly memorable, to make them all worth blogging about.  But every now and then there’s one which merits the treatment, if only briefly.

The other night, on the treadmill, I wasn’t able to find the Thursday night NFL game, but I did find MTV showing footage of Glastonbury Fayre in the UK.  Ack!  Kaiser Chiefs, Shaggy, Ed Sheeran, Dua Lipa…who are these people?  I suppose Radiohead is the only one of that type of band I can stomach.  Give me Donington and Download…

When we lived in Paris, our parents knew another family – I believe with USTS/USTTA – which lived in southwest London; Baron’s Court was the nearest Underground (“Tube”) station.   Apparently the Chelsea stadium must have been nearby, but at the time I had no clue Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, etc. even existed, much less were anywhere nearby.  Anyhow.   Since we got to go back the Wonderful US of A in even-numbered years, in odd-numbered years we’d vacation in London.  For example, we were in London the summer of 1983 when “Return of the Jedi” came out, and saw it at Leicester Square.  We’ll never forget the cheeky British kids behind us who would NOT SHUT UP, going on about “corr, Wheetabix!” and “corr, Darth Vader!” in their inimitable British accents.

ANYHOW.

I’ve already discussed Metallica’s show here in my recent Metallica blog, so forgive any repetition thereof.  Here’d I’d like to cover the festival itself.

In August 1985 we were back in London.  We learned that RATT were playing at a festival called Donington Monsters of Rock.  Then we learned that Metallica were also playing there.  DING DING DING!  The US Embassy had a bus going there – bus tickets & concert tickets combined in one package.  Where do we sign up?

Our poor Dad had to get up at 5 a.m., drive a right-hand drive car (our friends’ car, which normally stayed in the garage as we normally took the Tube everywhere beyond walking distance) through the streets of London to get us to the Navy Annex where we got on the bus.  

The bus wound its way up the … M1?  No clue.  The highway.  Anyhow.   “Money For Nothing” (Dire Straits) was on the radio literally nonstop, although Dire Straits were not playing at this show.   And my brother and I arrived at this huge empty field at a race track, with a stage at one end.  It was a huge, unruly crowd of Vyvyans, with a few Neals and Ricks thrown in there and there.

Band 1:  Magnum.   Some quasi-metal, quasi-prog British band was up first.  Matt has since investigated this band, but I never did.  They were….OK.
SET: All England's Eyes; The Prize; On A Storyteller's Night; Changes; Les Morts Dansant; The Lights Burned Out; Two Hearts; Sacred Hour; Kingdom of Madness

Band 2.  RATT.  “Round And Round” – of course.  Invasion of Your Privacy was the current album, but Out of the Cellar was the popular one – and remains so today.   A good show, though as of this point I can remember little of it.  Incidentally I’ve never seen RATT again. 
SET: You Got It; Wanted Man; You Think You're Tough; You're In Love; Lay It Down; The Morning After; Never Use Love; Round And Round; Sweet Cheater

Band 3.  Metallica.  YES!   Ride the Lightning tour.   Hetfield, Hammett, Ulrich and CLIFF F’N BURTON.  We were definitely psyched.  Not everyone else was – many bottles and cans were thrown at the stage, which James, Kirk and Cliff had to periodically duck.  Hetfield implored the audience not to “hit our beer”.   More recently I finally scored a bootleg of this show, and lo and behold, I heard him say that again.   Nice.
SET: Creeping Death; Ride The Lightning; For Whom The Bell Tolls; The Four Horsemen; Fade to Black; Seek & Destroy; Whiplash; Am I Evil?; Motorbreath

Band 4.  Bon Jovi.  I can’t remember which tour this was, and to this day remain unimpressed with Bon Jovi.  I certainly wasn’t impressed that day.   Mind you, this was before "Wanted Dead or Alive", which at gunpoint I'd identify as the Bon Jovi song I hate the least.  I think I had a headache and took a nap during their set, believe it or not.
SET: Tokyo Road; Breakout; Only Lonely; Runaway; (guitar solo); (drum solo); In And Out Of Love; I Don't Want To Go Home; Get Ready

Band 5.  Marillion.   Yes, at the same concert as Metallica was this band, who we’d never heard before.  No bottles or cans chucked at Fish & his friends.  Indeed not.  It was the Misplaced Childhood tour.   Matt and I were actually impressed, him more so than me.  I got a t-shirt, he got all their albums and followed them even into the Steve Hogarth phase.  He also followed solo Fish and saw his shows, but apparently much of those involve lengthy diatribes about Scottish independence, delivered to American audiences who have no reason to give a shit about that. 
SET: Waterhole (Expresso Bongo); Lords of the Backstage; Blind Curve; Emerald Lies (intro); Script For A Jester's Tear; Assassing; Pseudo Silk Kimono; Kaleigh; Lavender; Bitter Suite; Heart of Lothian; Incubus; Garden Party; Market Square Heroes; Fugazi; White Feather

Band 6.  ZZTop.  By now I was zonked out, and practically sleeping on the bus.  Matt says he was actually watching the show.  I like ZZTop, and now have several of their albums.  With Eliminator and its various videos playing all the time – most notably “Legs” – we knew who they were.  By now I’d call “La Grange” my favorite song.   Reviewing the setlist now, I regret I was not actively enjoying the show, but I’d have lacked the musical maturity to enjoy most of the set, including a Funkadelic cover.   [If anyone has a bootleg of this show, by all means let me know.]
SET: Got Me Under Pressure; I Got The Six; Gimme All Your Lovin'; Waiting For The Bus; Jesus Just Left Chicago; Sharp Dressed Man; Ten Foot Pole; TV Dinners; Manic Mechanic; Heard It On The X; I Need You Tonight; Pearl Necklace; Arrested For Driving While Blind; Hit It And Quit It (Funkadelic); Party on the Patio; Legs; Tube Snake Boogie; Can't Stop Rockin'; Jailhouse Rock (Elvis); La Grange; Tush 

The bus left, brought us home, and yet again our poor Dad had to pick us up again.   We’d scored t-shirts of Metallica (Metal Up Your Ass, the only choice), RATT, Marillion, and a ZZTOP DONINGTON one, none of which fit anymore, assuming we can find them (I recently got a new Metallica one in XL). 

1985 was actually the last time I was in London or the UK, so I haven’t been able to attend any more Doningtons or any Downloads.  Checking the lineups for other years shows that even numbered years had the best lineups.

Here they are, in reverse order (headliner first) (* = show recorded/filmed for official release):

1980.  Rainbow, Judas Priest, Scorpions, April Wine, Saxon*, Riot, Touch.

1981.  AC/DC, Whitesnake, Blue Oyster Cult, Slade, Blackfoot, More

1982.  Status Quo, Gillan, Saxon, Hawkwind (!!!!), Uriah Heep, Anvil

1983.  Whitesnake, Meat Loaf, ZZTop, Twisted Sister, Dio, Diamond Head

1984.  AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Y&T, Gary Moore, Accept, Motley Crue

1985.  See above.

1986.  Ozzy Osbourne, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Motorhead, Bad News, Warlock

1987.  Bon Jovi, Dio, Metallica, Anthrax, WASP, Cinderella

1988.  Iron Maiden*, KISS, David Lee Roth, Megadeth, Guns N’Roses, Helloween

1990.  Whitesnake, Aerosmith, Poison, Quireboys, Thunder

1991.  AC/DC*, Metallica, Motley Crue, Queensryche, The Black Crowes

1992.  Iron Maiden*, Skid Row, Thunder, Slayer, WASP, The Almighty

1994.  Main Stage: Aerosmith, Extreme, Sepultura, Pantera, Therapy?, Pride & Glory; Second Stage: The Wildhearts, Terrovision, Skin, Biohazard, Cry of Love, Headswim

1995.  Metallica, Therapy?, Skid Row, Slayer, Slash’s Snakepit, White Zombie, Machine Head, Warrior Soul, Corrosion of Conformity

1996.  Main Stage: KISS, Ozzy Osbourne (both headlining, but playing separately), Sepultura, Biohazard, Dog Eat Dog, Paradise Lost, Fear Factory; Kerrang! (Second) Stage: Korn, Type O Negative, Everclear, 3 Colours Red, Honeycrack, Cecil

The festival was discontinued, until 2003, when it was reborn – taking place at the same location – as the Download Festival.   Saxon’s song “And the Bands Played On” (off Denim & Leather) is about Donington. 

No comments:

Post a Comment