Friday, May 25, 2018

Cheese


Ok, enough about music and movies.  How about a truly breathtaking, utterly earthshaking and important topic, around which all our lives revolve? 

Cheese.

Here are my thoughts.

Swiss.   The holes are interesting.  But the cheese isn’t.  Too bland, not enough flavor.

Parmesan.   Excellent on pasta.  What I like is that I can go into one of these upscale supermarkets, pick up a brick of this stuff, and smell it.  MMMM.  And then go buy the green Kraft can.

Cheddar & White Cheddar.   Among my favorites.  The funny thing is that I associate cheddar with Cracker Barrel and the US, but I’ve found cheddar in France.   I guess the French like all sorts of cheese.

Pepper Jack.   Whether it’s jalapenos or habaneros (my favorite), this is becoming even more my favorite.  If I find a stick of habanero jack I’ll buy up the stock right there.  Now I'm seeing it with ghost peppers as well. 

Pizza & Mozzarella.   Of course pizza is my favorite food, and mozzarella seems almost uniquely suited to pizza.  Up in Belgium, the Raymond Hotel had a weird mozzarella pizza we’ve never had anywhere else.  AAFES chef, what is your recipe?   Share with the world!

Weird Smelly Soft Shit.   Camembert or the spreadable cheeses, anything fancy and pretentious I don’t care for.  Blah.

Provolone.  Almost exclusively on steak & cheese subs (Homer drooling).   For that matter, I don't care for "American" cheese, and really don't like it when subs use this cheese instead of provolone.  American cheese really is too bland for my liking.  

Cubes.  Rutters has these pepper jack cheese cubes in the small clear plastic box.  If I stop by there on my way up to NJ, I’ll try to score one of these.  Washed down with another Rutters exclusive, Canada Dry Black Cherry Wishniak.  I saw cubes at BJ’s, but only as a variety pack with regular cheddar and Swiss.  Nope, just pepper jack.

Cracker Barrel.  Probably the best brand.  Now they have presliced AND sticks.  Someone smart works there, thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment