Thursday, May 10, 2018

Fu Manchu & Mos Generator


Yes, another concert entry, immediately after the THC one posted last week.  It’s not my practice to blog about literally every show I go to, unless I feel something special is worth noting, as I do here.  I have no prior blog on Fu Manchu in particular.

By the way – about the Sword show two days before at the Baltimore Soundstage.   This a band who are fairly competent and astute on streaming/MP3/CD/vinyl/8 track whatever, but their stage presence is borderline catatonic.  Lead singer John Cronise simply stands there and sings and plays his Firebird I, and the other band members likewise do little but play their instruments.  I would advise against seeing this band live.  By now I’ve seen them several times and they tend to put me to sleep.  The highlight of this show was running into a friend and suitemate I hadn’t seen since college at UMCP (1886-1890).

Two days later I caught Mos Generator (opening) and Fu Manchu (headliner).   MG are from Seattle and remarked that this is their first concert appearance in DC.   They’re a three piece, Tony Reed being the singer/guitarist.  He was wearing a Trapeze (Glenn Hughes) shirt, and had tattoos of Iron Maiden, Ace Frehley, Black Sabbath’s first album cover, and the King Crimson Court Face.  The remarkable thing about this is that I had an MG album, The Late Great Planet Earth, which I hadn’t listened to for some time.  I listened to it again with the show coming up and apparently had forgotten how good the band were.  They have a new album, Shadowlands, due out next week, from which they played a few songs.  The latest release is Abyssinia, also high quality.  This band approaches, if not exceeds, the quality of Fu Manchu.

The show was at the R’n’R Hotel on H Street in northeast DC.  It’s a small club with a rectangular standing-room only floor area, though upstairs (out of line of sight of the band) there are seats, a bar, and the concessions area.  I’m getting older (aren’t we all?) and standing for long periods of time is getting more tedious and less tolerable than it used to be.  Getting up close to the band is more apt to make the standing a bit easier.

Normally I write off the opening act as a band easily forgotten.  Not so here.   MG were high octane, heavy duty, and I actually liked them more than Fu Manchu.   By all means Czech them out.

FU MANCHU came on and were as happy and energetic as always.   Frontman/rhythm guitarist Scott Hill, the only constant member, thanked us all for coming out on a weeknight.  Lead guitarist Bob Balch and bassist Brad Davis were solid – I was on Davis’ side of the stage.  The drummer is Scott Reeder, NOT the left-handed bassist Scott Reeder.  Scott Hill is the only original member, but by now Balch and Davis have been with the band since the mid-90s, i.e. close to the beginning.  They know the material and appear to enjoy playing it.

Discography: (full studio albums): No One Rides For Free (1994), Daredevil (1995), In Search Of… (1996), The Action Is Go (1997), Eatin’ Dust (1999), King of the Road (2000) (my favorite), California Crossing (2001), Start The Machine (2004), We Must Obey (2007), Signs of Infinite Power (2009), Gigantoid (2014), and newest release Clone of the Universe, featuring Alex Lifeson of Rush on extended jam instrumental “Il Mostro Atomico” – the set closer though unfortunately Mr. Lifeson is apparently not participating in live performances of this song, notwithstanding his own band’s permanent retirement from touring.  Maybe he has Trailer Park Boys engagements to hono(u)r.    

I got into the band thanks to a former friend whose name rhymes with Ren, back around 2001.  Prior shows I had the pleasure to attend were:  DC, February & September 2002 (California Crossing tour); Baltimore, October 2004 (Start The Machine tour); Jaxx in Virginia, March 2007 (We Must Obey tour); DC, September 2010 (Signs of Infinite Power tour); DC, May 2014 (Gigantoid tour), and this most recent show.

Incidentally, very early on, 75% of Fu Manchu was Eddie Glass, Mark Abshire, and Ruben Romano – they left to form Nebula, who sound remarkably similar to Fu Manchu.   I managed to see that band in June 2001 (Mercury Lounge with Ren), in DC in March 2006, and DC again in August 2008.  After a lengthy hiatus it looks like Eddie has resurrected Nebula and is playing some shows in California.  Romano currently has a band called the Freeks.  Not only that, stoner god Brant Bjork was on several albums too.

I would say that FM are a bit more energetic onstage and clearly enjoy performing, particularly for crowds as appreciative as the RNR Hotel audience, including myself, were that night.   The other redeeming factor is that the band has a GROOVE, you know what I’m saying?  I found myself moving my head up and down rapidly, which has been an inclination absent as I’ve grown older and probably a bit more jaded about bands.  I was happy to regain that sensation yet again.
 
Setlist: Eatin’ Dust; Clone of the Universe; California Crossing; Weird Beard; Evil Eye; (I’ve Been) Hexed; Hell on Wheels; Mongoose; Dimension Shifter; Laserblast!; Nowhere Left To Hide; King of the Road (!!!), Il Mostro Atomico; encore: Godzilla (Blue Oyster Cult cover).   By now I’m zone out on “Godzilla”, even when BOC play it – which they do.  Consistently.  And they tour.  Consistently.  Anyhow.

Opening Acts.  As noted, usually they’re bands we don’t care about and don’t even bother to show up early enough to catch them.  However, for the following shows, we considered the opening act of equal importance to the headliner:  Accept (Dokken); Triumph (Yngwie Malmsteen); Clash of the Titans:  Anthrax, Megadeth & Slayer (Alice in Chains, back when Layne Staley was still in the band); Van Halen (Alice in Chains) (same deal, a year later); Kyuss Lives! (The Sword); Clutch (Orange Goblin); Corrosion of Conformity (Brant Bjork); and last night’s show.   On rare occasions we considered the opening act MORE important than the headliner:  Def Leppard (Tesla), Billy Squier (King’s X); Audiovent (Fu Manchu); Foreigner (Don Felder).  Of these, we stayed to watch Def Leppard and Foreigner. 

So it was a great night:  The Fu brought it, as they so often do, but the opening act was also top quality, not just a waste of time before the headliner.  For their sake, I hope Mos Generator reaches the level of becoming a headliner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment